2023-10-19 13:05:00
UEFA announced this Thursday that the Euro 2024 qualifying match between Belgium and Sweden will not be replayed. Stopped Monday evening at half-time (1-1) due to the attack perpetrated in the Belgian capital which left two dead, the match ended with a result of 1-1. It is “final” and “each team is allocated one point” in the classification of Group F, specified the European body, as desired by the two federations. Two Swedish nationals were killed Monday evening in Brussels in a gun attack near the city center, a few hours before a Euro 2024 qualifying match between Belgium and Sweden at the King Stadium. Baldwin.
1697723086
#Euro #qualifying #BelgiumSweden #match #replayed #match #Israel #notice
Sweden
Strengthening EU Border Protection: Belgium and Sweden Call for Tighter Measures on Expelling Illegal Migrants
2023-10-19 00:32:25
Belgium and Sweden called on Wednesday to strengthen the protection of the European Union’s external borders and tighten measures to expel migrants in illegal situations. Belgian Prime Minister Alexander De Croo stressed the need for “better protection” of the European Union’s external borders, and a “firmer and more coordinated policy to return” those whose requests for asylum to their countries of origin are rejected. This comes two days following an attack that left two dead in Brussels.
Published on: 10/19/2023 – 02:32
3 minutes
After the attack that left two people dead BrusselsOn Wednesday, the Belgian and Swedish prime ministers called for strengthening the protection of the European Union’s external borders and tightening measures to expel migrants in illegal situations.
Belgian Prime Minister Alexander De Croo said during a joint press conference with his Swedish counterpart Ulf Kristersson and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen: “We cannot ignore” the fact that the extremist man suspected of killing a Swede on Monday evening “was a person who came from illegal immigration.” .
He continued: “We must address this problem, and we will not be able to do so unless we do it in a coordinated manner,” calling for “better protection” of the European Union’s external borders, and a “firmer and more coordinated policy to return” those whose requests for asylum to their countries of origin are rejected.
The perpetrator of the Brussels attack, who is suspected to be a 48-year-old Tunisian known to the media as Abdel Salam Al-Aswad, was residing illegally in Belgium, following his request for asylum was rejected in 2020 and an order was issued once morest him to leave the territory, which was not implemented.
A few hours before a football match between the Belgium and Sweden teams in the qualifiers for the European Cup 2024, two Swedish fans were shot dead and a third injured before fleeing on a motorcycle, in an attack that apparently occurred once morest the backdrop of the burning of the Qur’an in Sweden, which sparked waves of anger in the country. Arab world.
The Swedish Prime Minister said: “Resoluteness in defending democracy, tolerance, openness and freedom also requires us to be firm on the security level.”
Kristersson added: “We must be able to protect our borders. We must know who is in Sweden, whether legally or illegally. And if there are people who are not here legally, they must be forced to leave the country.”
Von der Leyen called for tightening European regulations “urgently,” and said: “The Commission proposed that if there is a person who poses a threat to national security, member states must be able to force him to leave,” explaining that this measure is included in the Asylum and Migration Charter. Being negotiated in the European Union.
So far this year, 65,000 people have been deported from the European Union, while regarding 400,000 orders to leave the territories are issued per year, according to European Commission figures.
France 24/AFP
1697679215
#Belgium #Sweden #call #strengthening #protection #European #Unions #borders #tightening #measures #expel #illegal #immigrants
Pro-Palestine Demonstration in Stockholm Demands Freedom for Gaza
2023-10-14 19:06:04
AA / Stockholm / Hakan Turkmen
A pro-Palestine demonstration was organized this Saturday in the Swedish capital, Stockholm. Protesters rejected the participation of neo-Nazi extremists in their ranks.
Hundreds of people gathered at Sergels Torg Square in Stockholm to protest Israeli attacks on Gaza.
People of different nationalities and ages took part in the protest, including Swedes, Palestinians and Arabs.
Protesters chanted slogans such as “Free Palestine”, “Free Jerusalem” and “Freedom for Gaza”, waving Palestinian flags, demanding an end to the bombing of Gaza and attacks on civilians.
A group of far-right neo-Nazis from the Scandinavian Resistance Movement/NRM also arrived at the scene, tearing down the Israeli flag.
Nonetheless, pro-Palestine protesters chanted slogans such as “We don’t want racists in our streets” and demanded the extremists leave.
After police intervention, the far-right group was expelled from the area.
For the eighth consecutive day, the Gaza Strip, besieged since 2006, is still prey to intense Israeli airstrikes which have destroyed entire neighborhoods.
At dawn on Saturday, the Hamas resistance movement and other Palestinian factions launched Operation “Al-Aqsa Flood” from Gaza, in response to “relentless attacks by Israeli forces and settlers once morest the Palestinian people, its properties and its holy sites, in particular the Al-Aqsa Mosque in the occupied part of East Jerusalem.”
For its part, the Israeli army launched Operation “Iron Swords” and continues to carry out intensive raids on many areas of the Gaza Strip, where more than two million Palestinians live who are suffering from the deterioration of their living conditions due to an Israeli blockade imposed since 2006.
*Translated from Arabic by Wejden Jlassi
Only part of the dispatches, which the Anadolu Agency broadcasts to its subscribers via the Internal Broadcasting System (HAS), is broadcast on the AA website, in summary form. Please contact us to subscribe.
1697316058
#demonstration #support #Palestine #rejecting #participation #neoNazis
Who is the Norwegian “writer of silence” Jón Fosse, winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature?
2023-10-05 16:13:02
The Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 went to Norwegian playwright Jon Fosse, for his “innovative” work that gave “a voice to what cannot be said,” according to an announcement by the Swedish Academy, which is responsible for the prestigious award, Thursday in Stockholm. Who is Fossa, nicknamed the “writer of silence” with an elitist orientation?
Published on: 05/10/2023 – 18:13
4 minutes
“I did not expect to receive the award today.” With these words, Norwegian playwright Jon Fosse expressed on Thursday his overwhelming happiness following being informed of his winNobel Prize for Literature.
The Swedish Academy honored the 64-year-old writer “for his innovative plays and prose works that give voice to the unspeakable.”
Jon Fosse, born on September 29, 1959 in Haugesund, Norway, is a writer with diverse interests and an elitist bent. However, he is one of the most frequently performed living writers in Europe.
After announcing the identity of the winner, Permanent Secretary of the Swedish Academy Mats Malm said that Jon Vosse received the news “when he was driving across the countryside towards the fjord north of Bergen in Norway.”
“I was surprised when they called me, but it wasn’t a big surprise at the same time,” the writer told Norwegian public radio NRK.
“For the past ten years, I have been carefully preparing myself for the fact that this might happen,” he said by phone. “But believe me, I did not expect to get the award today even if there was a chance.”
As Fosse said in a statement, “I feel extremely happy and grateful. I consider this an award for literature that aims above all to be literature, without any other consideration.”
Fosse emerged as a playwright on the European stage, thanks to his play Someone is Going to Come, which achieved great popularity in the version directed for the theater by Claude Rigi in 1999 in Paris. Many of his works also received admiration from critics.
Left-wing peace activist
Vosse grew up in an environment close to the Lutheran Pietist movement, with a Quaker grandfather, who was both a peace activist and a leftist.
But Fosse distanced himself from this religious orientation, as he described himself as an atheist, and played the guitar in the band “Rocking Chair,” before he finally embraced the Catholic faith in an advanced period of his life, specifically in 2013.
After receiving literary studies, Vosse launched into the literary field in 1983 with “Red, Black,” a novel regarding a young man who settles his scores with the Pietist movement. Also, the style of this story, which is full of temporal projections with a series of alternating points of view, became its distinguishing feature.
The Swedish Academy said in its definition of Fosse: “His voluminous work, written in Nynorsk (one of the written forms of the Norwegian language) and covering a wide range of genres, consists of a large number of plays, novels, poetry collections, essays, children’s books and translations.”
“Sense of initiative”
The head of the Nobel Prize in Literature Committee, Anders Olsson, explained that Vosse had a sense of “invention” through his “ability to evoke (…) the loss of the compass, and the way this can paradoxically enable access to a deeper experience.”
Like his brilliant predecessor in Nynorsk literature, Tarje Fyssas, Vosse combines in his works strong local, linguistic and geographical ties, with modern artistic techniques, according to the commission.
In his works, which are similar to those of Samuel Beckett, Vosse shares the pessimistic vision of his predecessors, including Thomas Bernhard and Georg Trakl, according to a biography of Jon Vosse published by the Academy.
In his latest work (“Septologien” in the original), a heptagon divided into three volumes, Vosse explores a man’s encounter with another version of himself to raise existential questions.
The last time the Nobel Prize in Literature was awarded to a Norwegian was in 1928, when it was won by writer Sigrid Undset. Jon Vosse is the fourth Norwegian to win this prestigious award.
Last year, the award went to French author Annie Ernault, for a work that tells the liberation of a woman of humble origins who became a feminist icon.
France 24/AFP
1696526356
#Norwegian #writer #silence #Jón #Fosse #winner #Nobel #Prize #Literature